SPFL Round-Up: Goals galore for the Old Firm, Falkirk on fire & Goal Frenzy in League Two

By Keiran Fleming


This weekend’s top flight action kicked off at Fir Park with Motherwell hosting title holders Celtic. Although this was a more competitive game than their opener against Saint Johnstone, the hoops were still able to put 5 goals past Mark Gillespie in the Well goal. Liam Donnelly  was able to put the home side for 2 minutes before Ajer equalised. Donnelly scored a second in the dying embers which made the final score 5-2. Neil Lennon’s men have now scored 12 goals in the first 2 games of the season.

Saint Johnstone looked as though they were set to face another disappointing defeat to Livingston after conceding 2 goals before half time. However, Tommy Wright’s men were able to pull back the 2 goal deficit with both Matthew Kennedy and Callum Hendry scoring. The 2-2 draw with Livingston means the Saints were able to get their first point on the board. While Ross County continued to have an impressive return to the premier league with a draw away to Hearts. The Staggies’ Brian Graham failed to convert a penalty in the 82nd minute which could have led to the Jambos being pointless after the first 2 games. Kilmarnock continued their dismal start to the season with a 2-0 loss away to Hamilton. Accies went down to ten men after Brian Easton was sent of in the 54th minute and Killie were still not able to score. It just shows how much a loss Steve Clarke has been for Kilmarnock.

Saint Mirren were able to surprise Aberdeen when the Dons visited Paisley. Ilkay Durmus’ early goal was enough for the Buddies to pick up the 1-0 victory. Rangers were able to show their Old Firm rivals that they can score goals too. The score was 2-1 up until Sean Mackie got sent off for hibs then the flood gates opened. Defoe was able to finish off his hat-trick, Morelos scored 2 and Ojo was able to grab a goal making the final score 6-1.


Title favourites Dundee United were able to show that they were able to win even when they aren’t playing at their best. A visit to Firhill saw the Arabs down by 1 goal before halftime, however, goals from Shankland and Pawlett were able to snatch the win away from Thistle. United are now the only team with a 100% record after the first two games.

After being unlucky against Dundee last weekend Dunfermline hoped they could pick up a win against Queen of the South. However,much like last week, the Pars failed to hold their lead after the first half leading to a 1-1 draw. Morton hosted part-timers Alloa, both were looking for a win. Both teams scored before half-time but the Ton were able to dominate after the break. They were able to score twice before Alloa’s Andy Graham was sent off. Bob Mchugh later completed his hat-trick making the final score 4-1.

After a disappointing start to the season Inverness hosted Arbroath. After a first half in which both sides were able to score, Caley picked up the win in the second half with a goal from Miles Storey in the 82nd minute being the difference between the sides.

Dundee hosted a resilient Ayr United side. The Dee were looking for a win to show that were in the running for the title and Andrew Nelson’s second half goal was enough to edge past the Honest Men.


League 1

Raith Rovers were able to thrash league newcomers Clyde.  The 5 goals scored were spread throughout Raith’s team while the Bully Wee were only able to pick up 2 late consolations. At Links Park Airdrieonians were able to take advantage of Montrose going down to 10 men after Sean Dillon was sent off in the 45th minute.  Callum Smith scored the winning goal for the Diamonds in the 71st minute, leaving the Gable Endies still looking for their first win. Forfar continue with their 100% record after Dale Hilson’s late goal saw them overcome Stranraer. Falkirk proved why they are the team to beat with an impressive 6-0 win over Dumbarton. Excellent performances from McManus, who scored a hat-trick, and Sammon, who scored twice, really proves the Bairns should be playing at a higher level. Last years League 2 winners Peterhead are still looking for their first win after they drew 1-1 away at East Fife.

League 2

Stenhousmuir were so close to grabbing their first 3 points of the season however they gifted Queens Park a penalty in the 96th minute which allowed them to draw 1-1. Edinburgh City were able to put their opening game against Cove behind them when they hosted Brechin City. The Citizens looked shaky to begin with but Scott Shepherd’s last minute gave them the 2-1 victory. Stirling Albion’s disastrous start continued with a 1-0 defeat away to Cowdenbeath. Kris Renton put the Miners ahead just after halftime but things got even worse when Kyle Banner got sent off for the Binos in the 84th minute. Annan Athletic and Elgin City seem to sides that could be chasing promotion and they were evenly matched on Saturday with a 1-1 draw. Newcomers Cove Rangers proved again that they are prolific goalscorers scoring 4 against Albion Rovers, however, the wee rovers answered with 4 goals of their own showing they are ready to compete.

Star Player/Team

This week the star player and team come from League 1. Jermain Defoe and Bob Mchugh are honorable mentions after impressive performances over the weekend, however I have chosen Declan McManus. McManus an outstanding performance, scoring a hat-trick and helping Falkirk show their dominance with a 6-0 win.

Falkirk, Morton and Rangers could all be very good candidates for team of the week however Raith had a really stand out performance. Raith Rovers were able to keep a hold of their 100% win record with a 5-2 victory over Clyde. The result really shows that Raith will be a side to be reckoned with this season.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: